What better way to get all the benefits of beans than eating them with chocolate! These black bean brownies are from Chocolate Covered Katie — if you don’t follow her and LOVE plant-based treats, you must.
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- optional: more chips, for presentation
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.)
- Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
- Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up!
I like to add some crushed walnuts on top!