Eating cauliflower has never been so easy, especially when it’s in a Cauliflower Frosty …. um, yes please!
I bet you’ve heard that you should eat the rainbow, that colourful foods pack the most punch.
This is generally true, but mundane looking vegetables like cauliflower pack a punch in their own way.
- A member of the cruciferous family, it is a source of the cancer protective phytochemical indol-3-carbinol and sulphorophane! Eating raw cauliflower ensures that you’re getting the most benefits from these two compounds.
- Flaxseeds are one of the richest sources of plant-based omega-3’s, fiber and lignans (powerful antioxidants and phytoestrogens). All of these things have been shown to have potential health benefits including improved digestion, lower blood pressure and cholesterol as well as helping to reduce your risk of certain cancers like breast, prostate and colorectal cancer. A diet rich in lignans may also help with symptoms of PMS (ladies!).
- Hemp hearts are another excellent source of plant-based omega-3’s, protein (~4 grams per tbsp) and vitamins and minerals like vitamin E, zinc, calcium and others!
- Ripe banana (frozen preferred)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup nut milk (I like vanilla or cashew)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flax (seed or ground)
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp nut butter (I like peanut butter)
- Sweeten with 1-2 tsp maple syrup if needed.
Blend all ingredients together in a blender. If you are not using frozen banana, add a few ice cubes to the mixture. This "smoothie" tastes best cold!